Monday, February 6, 2012

Upcycled Button Down Shirt

Like I said before, upcycling is awesome. I love taking something I already have that I'm tired of or doesn't fit and turning into something new! So, when I found this post on Pinterest, I wanted to give it a whirl. Even though it doesn't have a tutorial, I thought it was too cute to pass up. I just made it up as I went along. 




Inspiration

Supplies

  • Button down shirt
  • Matching or coordinating thread
  • Scissors
  • Stick pins
  • Sewing machine



I apologize in advance for the lack of photos. I got so wrapped up in this project that I kept forgetting to take photos as I went. 


First, lay the shirt out flat with the back facing up. 


Next, cut the sleeves off. I cut the seams off too.




Then, decide how low you want the open back to be and cut the two sections out of the back, leaving a strip of fabric down the middle.



Take a sleeve and cut two, two and a half inch wide strip about 6 inches long that tapers down to about one and a half inches. Fold each strip in half and sew a seam on each end of each strip.






Go around all the areas you cut on the shirt and fold the unfinished edge over and pin it. When you come to the back strip, also pin the cut strips to that and add pleats. Finally, sew seams on all of the cut edges.




Now, you have a brand new shirt! I chose to upcycle this shirt because the sleeves were pretty constricting but I loved the colors and the plaid. I love it!



2 comments:

  1. This is awesome! How does the front of the shirt look? I just don't know how the shoulder parts work and would like to see it from a different angle. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the instruction!! Thank you!! I was looking for instructions for this everywhere.<3

    ReplyDelete