Thursday, February 2, 2012

Duct Tape Body Form

I'm about to embark on the adventure of sewing. I used to do some sewing in high school but stopped when my sewing machine went on the fritz. Pinterest had sparked new motivation with lots of inspirations and for Christmas I got an awesome sewing machine (thanks Mom!). Before I start those adventures, I saw this post on Pinterest and thought it would be interesting to try and if it worked would help with my future endeavors. 


Inspiration
Supplies
  • Old T-Shirt (several sizes too big, want it to cover your butt)
  • Duct tape (I used 4 small $1 rolls)
  • Scissors
  • Stuffing (packing peanuts, old clothes, etc.)
  • A partner

First, put on the large shirt. Then, have your partner start wrapping the duct tape around you starting at the bottom right below your butt.


Continue wrapping until you reach right below your bust.


Start tearing off pieces and shaping your bust.


Continue adding duct tape up to the top of the shirt.


Do the same with the back. Connect the front and the back by using a couple pieces of duct tape around the shoulders and under the arm pit. 
Have your partner, carefully, cut up the back (including the shirt).


Add a piece of cardboard or foam board to the bottom and close off the top and arms. Stuff your form with your stuffing until you have the desired shape and mass.


Now you have a body form! I will later cover it with fabric and add a stand to it.


I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Hopefully it will be something helpful to have with some of my upcoming sewing projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment