Saturday, February 18, 2012

Elastic Casing Waistband Skirt

I had some extra fabric leftover from the maxi skirt and wanted a project to use it for. I saw this post for a shorter skirt and decided I can never have too many black skirts! I never worked with elastic before, so, it was also something new I could try.

Inspiration


Supplies
  • Fabric (about a yard)
  • Elastic (enough to go around your waist)
  • Scissors
  • Thread
  • Sewing machine
  • Stick pins

First, cut your fabric into two pieces. One for the front of the skirt and one for the back. Do the same for the elastic. Then, fold the top of one of the pieces of fabric over the elastic. I pined it in place.


Sew the fabric to the elastic. Pull the elastic strip tight as you sew. This will give you the gathering effect. Repeat for the other side of the skirt.

Now, layout the pieces on top of each other and pin the seams. Be sure you pin the skirt inside out. I used some extra fabric to also make pockets.


Then, sew up all the seams. I used stretchy jersey fabric so I decided not to add a hem since it rolls up an doesn't fray. If you use a fraying material, you will need to a a hem. 


I'm pretty happy with this skirt. It was good practice for sewing and it was fun working with elastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment