Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Wire Pendant

Lately I've been playing around and experimenting with wire. I find it fun and rewarding to twist some wire into wearable art. I saw this photo on Pinterest and wanted to recreate it the best I could. 
Inspiration


Supplies
  • 16 gauge wire
  • 28 gauge wire
  • Bead
  • Wire cutters
  • Round needle nose pliers

First, take your 16 gauge wire and shape it into a tear drop shape. I shaped mine before I cut it so I could make it a size I liked. I left some extra to loop it around itself and to also make a loop for a necklace chain.


Next, make a smaller tear drop shape to fit inside the first one. Leave some extra to loop the two ends around.


Then, cut a piece of the 28 gauge wire to wrap around the bottom of both tear drops. I wrapped mine off centered. 


Next, I cut another piece of 16 gauge wire and made the center. I twisted the ends using my rounded needle nose pliers. Then, I added my bead with 28 gauge wire. The wire with the bead is wrapped a couple of times around the center wire and then is used to hold the center wired to the inside tear drop.


Use more 28 gauge wire to attach the bottom of the center wire to the inside and outside tear drops.


Then,  cut another piece of 28 gauge wire and attach the other end of the center wire to the inside tear drop.


Here's a close up of the center of the pendant. 


Now you have a handcrafted wire pendant!


It doesn't look exactly like the inspiration photo but I'm happy with it. I'll keep practicing and hopefully get better at my wire shaping skills!

No comments:

Post a Comment