Friday, January 13, 2012

Refurbished Lamp

The room that I have my crafting station set up in doesn't have the best lighting. I thought by adding a lamp to my area would help. So, I found an old lamp base and shade at Goodwill for about $5. It was a little dull and didn't really go with my space. Of course Pinterest was there to save the day! I found two inspirations for painting the base and sprucing up the shade. 

Inspirations




Supplies

  • Operating Lamp Base
  • Lamp Shade
  • Spray Paint
  • Spray Protective Finish (Gloss)
  • Fabric
  • Ribbon (optional)
  • Pearls (optional)
  • Lace (optional)
  • Hot Glue
  • Masking Tape
  • Clear Plastic Wrap



First, I wrapped clear plastic wrap around the top of the lamp base to protect it when I sprayed it. I also wrapped masking tape around the cord so I wouldn't have to worry about completely painting it since it will be hidden by the crafting desk. 


Then, I took the lamp outside and spray painted it black. I let it completely dry for a couple of hours and then took it back outside and sprayed a coat of the glossy clear protective finish on it. 


While that dried, I worked on the lamp shade. 


I added black ribbon and a string of pearls to the top of the lamp. Then, I added lace and another string of pearls to the bottom of the shade. I then made three rosette flowers of different sizes. I used a cotton material from an old shirt. I cut the strips 3 inches wide and had three different lengths. I tied a knot on one end of the strip and then began to twist and wrap the material around itself, adding hot glue as I went to hold it together. After I had my three rosettes, I glued them to the lamp shade and added a bow. **Note: I realized too late that I didn't take very many photos of this project. Here is a wonderful tutorial with step by step photos on how to make a fabric rosette. Craftaholics Anonymous

Here it is completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment