Thursday, January 12, 2012

Chalkboard/Magnet Board

Last night, I attempted a project that used two inspirations from Pinterest. I created a chalkboard/magnet board for my crafting area. I found the magnet board inspiration on Pinterest but also saw how to make chalkboard paint and figured I could combine the two for my space. 

Inspirations


Supplies
  • Cookie Sheet
  • Scrapbook Paper
  • Ribbon
  • Magnets
  • Mod Podge
  • Acrylic Paint (2 colors)
  • Dry Unsanded Tile Grout
  • Sponge Brush
  • Paint Brush
  • Masking Tape
  • Hot Glue



First, I painted the rim of the cookie sheet black. This is an optional step but I thought it would look nice. 


Next, I taped the cookie sheet down the middle to make a nice clean line while I painted. Then, I mixed up the chalkboard paint. The instructions I found for the paint called for 1 cup of paint and 2 tablespoons of unsanded tile grout. I knew I wouldn't need that much, so, I cut the measurements in half and had plenty. I just poured half a cup of paint into a cup and mixed in 1 tablespoon of unsanded grout and mixed with a pencil. After I mixed it up thoroughly, I just painted the top portion of the cookie sheet with a sponge brush.


After the paint dried, I peeled the masking tape off. I applied Mod Podge on the bottom portion of the cookie sheet and placed the scrapbook paper. It was pretty difficult to keep the scrapbook paper from bubbling. I also applied Mod Podge over the black painted edges to seal in the paint. 


Then, I hot glued ribbon where the scrapbook paper and the chalkboard paint met to give it a nice clean edge. To finish it up I hot glued a ribbon loop to the back to hang it with and a small ribbon loop on the side to hold chalk.


I also added a flower just to dress it up a bit. I made magnets to match by gluing scrapbook paper and glass beads to magnets. 

All in all I really like it. I'm a huge fan of lists. So, hopefully this will help keep me on task! 

No comments:

Post a Comment