Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Mod Podge Flats

I love flat shoes. I've never been one to enjoy wearing a heel. Maybe it's my clumsy nature but 99% of the time I'm wearing flats. Ballet flats, Toms, boots.....those are my shoes of choice. So, when I saw this Pinterest pin a couple of weeks ago, I was intrigued. Imagine the possibilities! 

Inspiration

Supplies

  • Ballet flats
  • Fabric (cut into two pieces to cover each shoe)
  • Mod Podge
  • Sponge brush
  • Scissors
  • Xacto knife



First, lay your fabric over your first shoe.


Now, trim the excess off. (Be sure to leave some extra).


Then, cut a slit from the back up the middle, almost to the curve in the opening of the shoe.


Mod Podge the toe of the shoe.



Carefully smooth out the fabric over the Mod Podged portion of the shoe.


Now, Mod Podge down one side of the shoe, stopping before you get to the back. Carefully smooth out the fabric. Now, repeat on the second side of the shoe.


For the back, cut a straight line up the fabric and trim the excess out of the inside of the shoe. Then, Mod Podge one side of the back down.


Then, do the same to the other side but leave a little bit to overlap the back portion.


Now, cut slits at the curve of the open.


Mod Podge the inside fabric down.


Take the Xacto knife and trim the rest of the excess fabric off the bottom of the shoe at the sole. This is the hard part. 


Now, add a healthy amount of Mod Podge to the entire shoe. 


Follow these steps on the second shoe. Let them dry and voila! Brand new shoes! (Almost). 




This was a bit time consuming. But it was fun. Now I have brand new purple shoes for only $3! I found the white flats on clearance at Walmart at $3. The fabric is from a shirt I had that I didn't wear anymore. They feel great and move nicely! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment